From September. 16 through today, the USFS has received some bear reports from Lakes Two and Three. They are not sure whether it is one bear or two. The activity has been from one of the campsites on the southern shore of Lake Two, to the western most campsite on the south shore of Lake Three, back to Lake Two at the site closest to the portage into Rifle lake. The bear is persistent and was successful in getting hold of food on at least one site.
- Keep a clean campsite. Never eat or store food in your tent
- Take all precautions to discourage bears from visiting your site, including hanging your food pack or using a bear-resistant container, as well as garbage and anything that has a strong or sweet odor (soap, toothpaste, etc.).
- Some bear overcome their fear of humans and approach campsites looking for food. This includes islands sites since bears are good swimmers.
- If you do encounter a bear, most will be scared off if you make noise (shout, bang pots, or throw fist sized rocks at the bear, etc.).
- A very persistent bear may be discouraged by spraying pepper spray into its eyes.